MDE9002 - Post-medieval mound east of Moorland View (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
An irregularly shaped mound, 1.0 metres high and approximately 7 metres by 7 metres, with a flat top and steep sides. It is situated on a saddle between Trentishoe Down and Holdstone Down.  A mound first recorded by McDonnell  and shown on his plan as Monument number 276, but listed in the accompanying text as number 267. The Devon SMR centred the feature at SS 6257 4763, but no evidence for a mound was seen in the immediate vicinity of this National Grid Reference, which appears to be incorrect. The feature apparently referred to by  and the SMR is centred at SS 6265 4763. It consists of a subcircular mound or arc of bank 6.4 metres in diameter and 0.5 metres high. It is composed largely of earth with some stone. In form it is reminiscent of a shooting butt, but may equally be interpreted as a military feature. It is most probably post-medieval in date. Surveyed at 1:2500. [2,3]
- <1> SEM6767 Report: McDonnell, R.. 1985. Archaeological Survey on Exmoor: An Interim Report. Site 267.
- <2>XY SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 8 July 1993. [Mapped feature: #46034 ]
- <3> SMO4808 Survey: Trentishoe, SS 64 NW 4, 7, 15, 31, 32, 33, 37/ink survey . 1:2500. General: Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
|Grid reference||SS 6265 4763 (point) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||TRENTISHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=872814 (Pastscape entry: 872814)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS64NW/52
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 28165
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21007
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NW33
- National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA107834
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 872814
Record last edited
Apr 24 2019 11:12AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.