MDE8992 - Dean Wood Cottage (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Dean Wood Cottage is shown on the 6 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1890 . At SS 6350 4558, in woodland, are the remains of a stone building adjacent to the modern path and 5 metres from an unnamed stream. The building occupies steep east facing slopes and has been cut into the slopes on its western or upslope side. Rectangular in shape, the building measures some 12.4 metres by 4 metres overall (11.6 metres by 3.2 metres internal). It has walls 0.6 metres thick and standing to a maximum height of 1.8 metres. It was originally two celled, and a gap in the eastern wall 0.7 metres wide gave access to the southern cell. The western and southern walls survive over their entire length whilst the northern wall is only 1.7 metres long, and the eastern wall survives only at its southern end. Revised at 1:2500.  The 25 inch Ordnance Survey map shows three buildings at this location. The central one is at SS 6349 4557 and is labelled Dean Wood Cottage; a further structure lies to the north at SS 6349 4559 and another to the southeast at SS 6351 4553, all along the same routeway. The other two buildings are not labelled and their function is not clear.  None of the buildings are depicted on the Tithe Map for Trentishoe and nor is the routeway they are adjacent to.  The outline of Dean Wood Cottage is depicted on the 2018 MasterMap data but the other two buildings are not visible. The track is still extant.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1890, Devonshire 6NW.
- <2> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 5 July 1993.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SDE82553 Map: 1842. Trentishoe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 872498, Extant 8 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6350 4556 (30m by 82m)|
|Civil Parish||TRENTISHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=872498 (Pastscape entry: 872498)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 60609
- Devon SMR: SS64NW/95
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21675
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NW23
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 872498
Record last edited
Nov 8 2021 3:18PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.