MDE8978 - Natural stones northwest of Broadbarrow Stone (Non-antiquity)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Two stones are depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map at SS 7174 4008. [1,2] There are at least three stones (possibly four) depicted here on the 2nd Edition map.  SS 7173 4008 Standing Stone. The two stones depicted on the 1:10000 plan  lie on an east facing slope at 448 metres Ordnance Datum with extensive views in all but the westerly direction. The site in enclosed semi improved ground is under reed and rough pasture. An area on the Morte Slates series, it is relatively free of surface stone although five large boulders in a nearby hedge ditch indicate clearance activity. The stones are on a north to south axis parallel to an adjacent post/wire fence and are c.50 metres from the unmarked Devon/Somerset border. Their origin and purpose are not clear but they are doubtfully part of a stone setting. They are not depicted on the Challacombe Tithe Map, 1840, when the area was unenclosed Common . [5,6] A further table of information on the stones is held in the archive.  SS7173 4008 Stones.  SS 7173 4008. Two stones are depicted and annotated "Stones" on the 1890 Ordnance Survey map . It is unlikely that they are prehistoric in origin as a stone setting or standing stones. The area is strewn with similar large stones: some dumped near the enclosure wall to the southeast and others lie in the field to the west. These two stones appear to be no more than natural stones exposed by ploughing. No survey action.  There are two stones depicted on modern MasterMap data at SS 7173 4008 and SS 7173 4008, which appear to be on a differing alignment to the historically mapped stones. They may, therefore, have been moved, although it seems more likely that differing stones may have been mapped at different times, particularly as the number of mapped stones changes. [10,11] Several recumbent surface stones which have been previously recorded as natural stones, in an area very close to the county boundary.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1891.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1888, Devon 11(1).
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7724 Map: 1839. Challacombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5> SMO4647 Technical drawing: Fletcher, M.J.. 1989. Roosthitchen/ink survey . 1:100. Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <6> SMO7308 Unpublished document: Fletcher, M.J.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 12 January 1989.
- <7> SMO5658 Report: Quinnell, N.V. and Dunn, C.J.. 1992. Lithic monuments within the Exmoor National Park: A new survey for management purposes by the Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England.. Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England.
- <8> SEM7222 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1980. 1:10000 Map, 1980. 1:10000.
- <9> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1 May 1995.
- <10>XY SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap. [Mapped features: #43500 ; #45085 ]
- <11> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Catherine Dove, 17 January 2017.
- <12> SEM8523 Report: Fuller, J.. 2018. Exmoor Prehistoric Standing Stone Condition Survey: 2017-2018.
- <13> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 871916, Extant 13 January 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7173 4008 (1m by 8m) (2 map features)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=871916 (Pastscape entry: 871916)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 50124
- Devon SMR: SS74SW/36
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21484
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW91
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 871916
Record last edited
Jan 13 2022 11:07AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.