MDE8970 - Post-medieval gatepost west of Lower Fyldon Cross (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A possible standing stone was noted in use as a gatepost. It measured 1.2 metres in height, 0.8 metres wide and 0.14 metres thick.  SS 7362 3346 Gatepost. A redundant gate post, recorded in 1976  as possibly a reused prehistoric standing stone. It is now prone and measures 1.5 metres long, 1.1 metres wide and 0.14 metres thick. It is pierced by five holes, each 0.1 metres in diameter, and was clearly once part of a slip bar gate. There is no evidence that this stone was a prehistoric monument.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. H Eardley-Wilmot, written information and sketch, 1979.
- <2> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 30 November 1989.
- <3> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 867950, Extant 1 December 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 7362 3345 (point) Surveyed|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=867950 (Pastscape entry: 867950)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS73SW/16
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 7672
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20199
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SW11
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 867950
Record last edited
Dec 1 2021 3:39PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.