MDE8969 - Possible prehistoric standing stone west of Fyldon Hill Road (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A possible standing stone was noted during a field visit in 1976, when it was in use as a gatepost. The hedges were possibly 19th Century in date but it was suggested the post was a prehistoric standing stone taken from its original position, since wood is more commonly used for gateposts and is easier to come by.  SS 7371 3437 Upright stone. A large upright stone containing quartz used as a gatepost in a roadside gateway on the western side of Fyldon Hill Road. It is 1.35 metres high and is triangular in section, 0.7 metres by 0.5 metres by 0.5 metres, with a flattish top. It has a gatehanger in its eastern face and an Ordnance Survey Bench Mark cut in its northern face. It could have been a standing stone but it is likely to be in situ and there is no information on its provenance or origin. [2,3] It is worth noting that there are known sites where stone was thought to be mined for gate posts on Exmoor in the 19th Century, such as MSO7123 (contrary to 's comments). This is therefore less likely to be a standing stone but confirmation would need to be made on site that this structure is similar to those used elsewhere in this way. 
- <1> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Paperwork held by Devon HER / SMR. H Eardley-Wilmot, written information, 1979.
- <2> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 30 November 1989.
- <3> SMO5658 Monograph: Quinnell, N.V. + Dunn, C.J.. 1992. Lithic Monuments within the Exmoor National Park: A New Survey for Management Purposes by the Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England.. Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 29.
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Catherine Dove, 11 January 2017.
|Grid reference||SS 7371 3436 (point) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=867941 (Pastscape entry: 867941)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 7671
- Devon SMR: SS73SW/15
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20198
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SW10
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 867941
Record last edited
May 23 2018 11:50AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.