MDE8966 - Probable undated rubbing post at the source of the River Heddon (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
SS 6920 4425. Standing stone at the source of the River Heddon in an unreclaimed field to the south of the field to Roe Barrow (MDE1062). Stone aligned east to west and under 1.0 metre high.  SS 6925 4424. An upright stone situated on a gentle north facing slope at 375 metres Ordnance Datum. It is an unimpressive block of gritstone measuring 0.7 metres high, 0.7 metres wide and 0.5 metres thick and seems more likely to be a rubbing post than a prehistoric monument. It is situated in a pasture field which is reverting to rushes and rough grass.  An irregular shaped upright stone measuring 0.7 x 0.5 x 0.3m stands in the centre of a small field just east of the trackway leading upslope to the north side of Challacombe Common. The shape and placement of the stone within the centre of the field suggest that it is more likely a rubbing post than a convincing standing stone. Furthermore, it does not appear to have the same level of weathering that many prehistoric standing stone exhibit. Regardless of its authenticity, the site is in a “very good” condition, with little clear damage to its fabric. The only active damage occurring is a small level of very-light animal rubbing which has caused a very slight hollow around the base of the stone. 
- <1> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. H Eardley-Wilmot, 28 September 1982.
- <2> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 30 November 1989.
- <3>XY SEM8523 Report: Fuller, J.. 2018. Exmoor Prehistoric Standing Stone Condition Survey: 2017-2018. MDE8966. [Mapped feature: #45396 Possible Rubbing Stone, MDE8966]
|Grid reference||SS 6925 4424 (point) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=866986 (Original Monarch entry: 866986)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS64SE/119
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 20019
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20572
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE35
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 866986
Record last edited
May 21 2019 12:33PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.