MDE8965 - Possible Bronze Age burial cairns on Rowley Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
Robert Ballments map of Rowley Down, dated 1787 clearly shows a circular feature without giving it a name or title. It may be a stone circle or perhaps a barrow at SS 6635 4345 .  There is no trace of a stone circle or barrow at SS 6635 4345. However a turf covered mound lies 110 metres to the southwest at SS 6626 4338 at about 355 metres on the western summit of the ridge of Rowley Down. It is 7 metres in diameter and 0.4 metres in maximum height. No stone could be detected by probing. Some 40 metres to the northwest in a similar field at SS 6623 4340 is an almost identical mound 7 metres in diameter and 0.3 metres high. Some stone could be detected by probing. There are extensive panoramic views; north across the Bristol Channel to South Wales, eastwards to Exmoor, south to Dartmoor and Brent Tor and westwards to Lundy and the Atlantic. The proximity to other tumuli (MDE1055, some 150 metres to the southeast) and the symmetry of the remains suggests that these are two much reduced prehistoric cairns. (Most probably one was the feature shown on Robert Ballands map of 1797). [1-2]
- <1> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. Devon Record Office, 56/11/1/59a and sketch.
- <2>XY SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 7 March 1990. [Mapped features: #46094 ; #46095 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6624 4339 (30m by 20m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=866942 (Pastscape entry: 866942)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS64SE/50
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 20005
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 71958
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20900
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21885
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE34
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 866942
Record last edited
May 21 2019 12:44PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.