MDE8693 - Post-medieval fish weir near Countisbury Cove (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A fishing weir is depicted on the 1980 Ordnance Survey 1:10000 sheet.  The feature was seen from the cliff top. It comprises a roughly "L"-shaped shingle bank. This bank acts as a dam and ponds back water on its upper or inland side. At the time of visit this area was holding water.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7222 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1980. 1:10000 Map, 1980. 1:10000.
- <2> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. R Wilson-North, F1, 14 October 1993.
- <3> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 766343, Extant 25 January 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7622 5047 (93m by 66m) MasterMap|
|Civil Parish||COUNTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=766343 (Pastscape entry: 766343)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 75 SE6
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 766343
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (0-20)
Record last edited
Jan 25 2022 1:14PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.