MDE8689 - Possible mining activity at Foreland Point (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Un-named mine. Adits reported at Foreland Point but exact location unknown. At work for iron 1874-5. May be connected with Countesbury Mine at Watersmeet.  No trace of the alleged adits was seen during field investigation. Several subrectangular hollows were observed around SS 751 505 which may be associated with mining. However, they are on the scale of trial workings. [2,3]
- <1> SDE66180 Article in serial: Claughton, P. F.. 1974. Metalliferous mines of North Devon and Exmoor. Plymouth Mineral and Mining Club Journal. Vol 5, Part 1. 9. 9, Farway.
- <2> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 14 October 1993.
- <3> SMO4591 Report: Field report on SS 75 SE 2 - 14-OCT-1993 .
|Grid reference||SS 75 50 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||COUNTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=766273 (Pastscape entry: 766273)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS75SE/2
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 19863
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20895
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 75 SE2
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 766273
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:07PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.