MDE8290 - 19th Century adits at the foot of The Rawns (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 5930 4830 and SS 5937 4835. Approximate positions of two short adits in cliff base.Claughton  has sketched the positions of these adits at the foot of precipitous cliffs known as The Rawns. Due to inaccessibilty of the audits no further action to verify or survey these adits was taken. Claughton notes that these adits were probably for iron or manganese and were worked in the 19th Century in association with the Girt Down Mine sett. 
- <1> SDE65370 Unpublished document: Claughton, P.. 22/04/1993. Letter and Maps to Royal Comission on the Historical Monuments of England.
- <2> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 16 May 1993.
- <3> SEM6880 Report: The National Trust. 1984. Golden Cove, Berrynarbor; Great and Little Hangman, Devon. P. 9.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 5933 4832 (121m by 77m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||COMBE MARTIN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=616433 (Pastscape entry: 616433)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 2 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 tidal
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 50073
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 50074
- Devon SMR: SS54NE/121/1
- Devon SMR: SS54NE/121/2
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21469
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21470
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 54 NE46
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA107996
- National Trust HER Record: MNA107997
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 616433
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (0-20)
Record last edited
Jul 11 2016 3:08PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.