MDE8282 - 19th Century mine workings east of The Rawns (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 5898 4821. Mine workings surveyed (but not annotated) by the Ordnance Survey  in 1889 some 450 metres east of The Rawns. These workings are on very steep slopes above precipitous cliffs and they are now inaccessible.They lie on three levels, according to information and plan from Claughton , and are associated with the Girt Down Mine sett of the 19th Century. 
- <1> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1889, Devon 1(16).
- <2> SDE65370 Unpublished document: Claughton, P.. 22/04/1993. Letter and Maps to Royal Comission on the Historical Monuments of England.
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 30 April 1993.
- <4> SEM6849 Report: Berry, N.. 2002. Archaeological and Historic Landscape Survey of West Challacombe Farm, Combe Martin, Devon.
- <5> SDE89991 Unpublished document: Claughton, P.. 2003. Silver Mining in England and Wales 1066-1500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 5898 4820 (17m by 20m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||COMBE MARTIN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=616382 (Pastscape entry: 616382)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 50081
- Devon SMR: SS54NE/132
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21477
- National Monuments Record reference: MNA107991
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 54 NE38
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 616382
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (50-100)
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:06PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.