MDE8280 - Post-medieval adit above The Rawns (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 59323 48171. An adit set into the steep cliff face above The Rawns. It is 3.5 metres wide and 2.5 metres at the entrance but expands into a triangular interior about 12 metres across and some 7 metres deep into the cliff. The ceiling slopes towards the rear. The approach is along a narrow precipitous path from the east end of an overgrown trackway down the steep slope. It is difficult to date this adit precisely. According to Claughton  the last years of the 18th Century saw the commencement of large scale working of the iron deposits fron the coast at Wild Pear Beach through Girt and Holdstone Downs. Beaumont  states that John Leversedge, one time Land Surveyor appointed by the Inclosure Commissioners, in partnership with a George Bush of Wiveliscombe took a Lease from Sir Charles Watson for Mining Rights for iron on Girt Down in 1867. Claughton also states that Girt and Holdstone Downs Mining Company Limited was active in 1875-6 although production was very small. Presumably this adit could date from any time during this period. 
- <1> SEM7863 Article in monograph: Claughton, P. F.. 1989. The Combe Martin Mines. Out of the World and into Combe Martin. P. 24-47.
- <2> SEM6754 Article in monograph: Beaumont, M.. 1989. Tithes and Enclosures. Out of the World and into Combe Martin. Combe Martin Local Histor. P. 129-141.
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 30 April 1993.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 5931 4818 (14m by 27m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||COMBE MARTIN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=616374 (Pastscape entry: 616374)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 50083
- Devon SMR: SS54NE/134
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21479
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 54 NE36
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA107995
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 616374
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (0-20)
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (20-50)
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (50-100)
Record last edited
May 9 2016 2:45PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.