MDE8278 - 19th Century adit northeast of East Challacombe Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Possible adit surveyed, but not annotated, in field to north east of East Challacombe Farm.  SS 5935 4776. The remains of this possible adit are now collapsed and infilled though its line is clearly visible as a gulley in a pasture field on a steep southwest facing slope. The north end of the gulley has been extended by a shallow field drain although it was dry at the time of this visit. The upper, north east end of the gulley is exposed as a red claylike soil whilst the lower two thirds are grassed over. At SS 5933 4774 the remains of the grassed over spoil heap from the workings form a low fan shaped spread about 20 metres across, 16 metres uphill and 0.5 metres maximum height. This spoil heap though shown on  has been omitted from the 1904 map  so it may have been robbed, ploughed and the area seeded before then. The whole may have been 19th century workings associated with the Iron/Manganese mining of Girt Down Mine sett.  An unnamed mine. The adit was driven northeast from point to northeast of East Challacombe Farm. Probably for iron. Date not known. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Devon 1(16).
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, Devon 1(16).
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 27 April 1993.
- <4> SDE3410 Report: Claughton, P. F.. 1993. A List of Mines in North Devon and West Somerset. 099.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 5934 4775 (91m by 66m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||COMBE MARTIN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=616365 (Pastscape entry: 616365)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 50084
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 54976
- Devon SMR: SS54NE/120
- Devon SMR: SS54NE/135
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21480
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21608
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 54 NE34
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 616365
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:06PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.