MDE8276 - Possible 19th Century adit at Combe Martin beach (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 57744 47342. An adit situated at the base of the cliff on the beach at Combe Martin. It has been sealed by a brick and concrete wall but the entrance appears to have been about 2.6 metres wide and 2 metres hugh. A hollow, 2 metres diameter 0.3 metres deep, situated at about SS 5778 4732 in the garden of a house is thought to indicate a collapse into the adit. Possibly associated with mid 19th Century mining activity. [1,2]
- <1> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 28 April 1993.
- <2> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. PF Claughton, personal communication, letter and maps, 22 April 1993.
|Grid reference||SS 5773 4734 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||COMBE MARTIN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=616357 (Pastscape entry: 616357)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 fluvial & tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 tidal
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 50086
- Devon SMR: SS54NE/137
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21482
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 54 NE32
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 616357
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (0-20)
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:06PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.