MDE8275 - 19th or 20th Century trial mine shaft south of Lester Point (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
SS 57531 47606. A shaft some 15 metres above sea level on the south side of Lester Point. The near vertical rectangular shaft measures 3.5 metres east to west by 2 metres and is sunk some 8 metres down into the cliff. According to Claughton  this was a trial shaft prospecting for silver lead on the Crowns Lode  and was most probably associated with the 19th Century workings of the West Challacombe Mine sett (MDE8262). However Burton  says that "as late as 1935 rich ore was discovered at the foot of Lester Point but the discovery was not exploited", and that could be a reference to this shaft. 
- <1> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 4 May 1993.
- <2> SDE65370 Unpublished document: Claughton, P.. 22/04/1993. Letter and Maps to Royal Comission on the Historical Monuments of England.
- <3> SDE65371 Article in serial: Anon.. 1864. New Combmartin Silver-Lead Mine. Mining Journal. P. 102.
- <4> SDE65372 Monograph: Burton, S. H.. 1953. The North Devon Coast. Werner Laurie. P. 70.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 5753 4759 (4m by 9m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||COMBE MARTIN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=616354 (Pastscape entry: 616354)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA107987 (National Trust HER entry: MNA107987)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 2 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 tidal
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 50077
- Devon SMR: SS54NE/138
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21473
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 54 NE31
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA107987
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 616354
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (0-20)
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:06PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.