MDE8272 - Girt Vale Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
Old Shaft depicted on the 1888 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map 180 metres southwest of Girt Farm.  Girt Vale Mine. There is a shaft in valley south west of Girt Farm. It was worked for silver lead about 1859 by North Devon Mining Company. [2,3] SS 59573 47268. This shaft, now overgrown with brambles and scrub, in a pasture field between a deep wooded stream gulley on the north and a natural hollow on the south. It was not possible to ascertain if the shaft has been filled in or to obtain any precise details about it. Erosion of the stream to the north is cutting into the side of the immediate area. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Devon 5(4).
- <2> SDE60674 Article in serial: Claughton, P. F.. 1973. The metalliferous mines of North Devon and Exmoor. Plymouth Mineral and Mining Club Journal. 4, Part 1.
- <3> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. P Claughton, 22 April 1993, Letter and maps to RCHME.
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 24 March 1993.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 5958 4726 (62m by 27m)|
|Civil Parish||COMBE MARTIN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=615501 (Pastscape entry: 615501)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS54NE/32
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 19499
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20881
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 54 NE28
- National Park: Exmoor National Park Authority
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 615501
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:06PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.