MDE8268 - Possible deserted farmstead on northwest of North Challacombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 5876 4782. Likely site of a deserted farm showing a possible parch mark building. It is visible on Royal Air Force aerial photographs  and visible in fair condition on 1978 aerial photographs . It lies in improved pasture on a fairly steep south facing slope.  There is no trace of a feature on the ground at this reference or in the surrounding area. 
- <1> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. 106G/UK/1655/3176-7 (July 1946).
- <2> SEM7408 Aerial photograph: Meridian Air Maps. 1977-1978. Infrared False Colour Aerial Photography. MAM 2658 (June 1978).
- <3> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. Gazetteer Number SS5847a.
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 24 March 1993.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 5872 4780 (81m by 39m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||COMBE MARTIN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=615370 (Pastscape entry: 615370)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS 54 NE 25
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17893
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20507
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 54 NE24
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 615370
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:06PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.