MDE8266 - Post-medieval adit above Wild Pear Beach (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
SS 5822 4770. One of 5 adits or shafts indicated by Claughton as having been sunk, reopened or worked in the 19th Century . The Ordnance Survey  depicts a linear mound about 35 metres long oriented north-north-east to south-south-west with the remains of an apparent spoil heap at its southern end, 30 metres to the north of the bottom of the footpath descending to Wild Pear Beach. The linear mound is shown as a gulley on the 1904 map . Claughton  indicates the site of an adit, now lost, on Wheel Path Lode at SS 5819 4767 , fifteen feet above Wild Pear Beach. It is probably associated with silver lead workings of the West Challacombe Mine sett. (MDE8262). The linear mound, or gulley, and spoil heap were presumably workings associated with this adit. Today there is no trace of any of these features, and it is assumed that they have disappeared with coastal erosion as the cliffs are very unstable here. 
- <1> SDE65370 Unpublished document: Claughton, P.. 22/04/1993. Letter and Maps to Royal Comission on the Historical Monuments of England.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Devon 1(15).
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, Devon 1(15).
- <4> SDE65371 Article in serial: Anon.. 1864. New Combmartin Silver-Lead Mine. Mining Journal. P. 102.
- <5> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 28 May 1993.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 5820 4768 (51m by 52m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||COMBE MARTIN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=614547 (Pastscape entry: 614547)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 tidal
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 41476
- Devon SMR: SS54NE/10/4
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20319
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 54 NE22
- National Park: Exmoor National Park Authority
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 614547
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (0-20)
Record last edited
Jul 11 2016 3:08PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.