MDE8265 - Possible 19th Century mine shaft at the foot of Lester Cliff (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 5790 4764. One of five adits or shafts that were sunk, reopened or worked in the 19th Century at West Challacombe Mine.  According to Claughton , this is a reference to a Shagrey Quartz lode , probably part of the silver lead workings associated with the West Challacombe Mine sett (see MDE8262). From local knowledge it was thought to be situated about SS 5788 4766 however when investigated by him in 1973 nothing was found at this reference but he did locate a shaft at the foot of the steep Lester Cliff just on the High Water Mark about SS 5779 4762 and he considers this is probably the Shagrey Shaft. It was not found during a further field visit in 1993 and it may now possibly be hidden by cliff erosion. 
- <1> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. Letter and map to RCHME held in Parish File, PF Claughton, 22 April 1993.
- <2> SDE65371 Article in serial: Anon.. 1864. New Combmartin Silver-Lead Mine. Mining Journal. P. 102, ground plan.
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 28 May 1993.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 5778 4761 (7m by 30m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||COMBE MARTIN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=614543 (Pastscape entry: 614543)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 tidal
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS54NE/10/3
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 41475
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 54 NE21
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 614543
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (0-20)
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:06PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.