MDE8264 - Possible 19th Century adit on south side of Lester Point (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 5755 4763. One of 5 adits or shafts of West Challacombe Mine, indicated by Claughton as having been sunk, reopened or worked in the 19th Century.  SS 57597 47595. An open adit some 2 metres above High Water Mark on the south side of the west projecting promontory of Lester Point some 300 metres north of Combe Martin beach. The entrance, seen clearly from the beach and easily accessible, measures about 1.5 metres wide, 1 7 metres high and its passage extends into the cliff on a bearing of 21 degrees (magnitude north) for at least 32 metres before turning to the northwest. It was not ascertained how much further it went into the cliff. According to Claughton  it was most probably part of silver lead workings associated with the West Challacombe Mine sett (See MDE8262) during a period of activity in the mid 19th Century.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SDE65370 Unpublished document: Claughton, P.. 22/04/1993. Letter and Maps to Royal Comission on the Historical Monuments of England.
- <2> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, F1, 28 May 1993.
- <3> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 614494, Extant 20 October 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 5758 4760 (10m by 32m) Estimated from sources|
|Civil Parish||COMBE MARTIN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=614494 (Pastscape entry: 614494)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 2 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 tidal
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 41474
- Devon SMR: SS54NE/10/2
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20318
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 54 NE20
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 614494
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (0-20)
Record last edited
Oct 20 2021 4:47PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.