MDE8255 - West Anstey Stone, north of East Ringcombe Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A stone, inscribed with letters V, C and H, stood at the side of a steep gully north of East Ringcombe Farm, until it was removed in 1978. The Ordnance Survey map  shows another stone near this gully, but that stone was still in situ in 1982. The purpose of the inscribed stone (now removed) is unknown.  A rectangular upright stone is located at SS 8414 2903. It measures 0.35 metres wide, 0.15 metres thick and protruding 0.5 metres high. It is set in the scrub and bracken covered peat to the east of a small gulley 5 metres north of the road and 29 metres east of a culvert. The stone is oriented north to south. It is of a layered slatey consistency and the faces have flaked off making interpretation of the letters difficult. The letter C is clearly engraved on its west face, but only the base of the V and part of the uprights of the H can now be discerned. Nothing is evident on its east face.The stone, most probably a post-medieval boundary stone, is earthfast and firmly set. It is in the same position now as shown on the Ordnance Survey 1891 and 1971 maps ([2,3]). There is no evidence to suggest it has been moved or replaced as stated by Eardley-Wilmot. [1,4] The drawing in the parish file shows letters V, C and D. 
- <1> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. Letter, 29 March 1978, with Samual's drawing 1978.
- <2> SEM7588 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1971. 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1891, Devon 16 SW.
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 14 January 1993.
- <5> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. Noted by Devon County Council HER, SS82NW/24.
|Grid reference||SS 8413 2903 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||WEST ANSTEY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=604910 (Original Monarch entry: 604910)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 18773
- Devon SMR: SS82NW/24
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20859
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 82 NW17
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 604910
Record last edited
Jan 29 2019 4:58PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.