MDE8253 - Post-medieval field system on West Anstey Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
An extensive system of field enclosing narrow rig ploughing noted on aerial photographs continues from MDE20836 into West Anstey parish. SS 8530 2868. Extensive low banks enclosing areas of narrow rig ploughing. [1,2] West Anstey Common is centred at SS 848 294. A transcription of air photographs () shows fragmentary field boundaries over parts of the common, with traces of narrow ridge and furrow within them. The remains seem to represent attempts to enclose the common in the post-medieval period. An air photographic transcription of the whole of the common has been requested from the Air Photographics Unit which is part of the RCHME.  An abandoned field system with associated ridge and furrow is visible as earthworks on aerial photographs, centred on circa SS 8460 2905, on the south facing slopes of West Anstey Common. Probably of post-medieval date, the earthworks cover an area of approximately 100 hectares, or 1 square kilometre. The main axis of the field system is aligned approximately northeast to southwest, the boundaries and rig crossing the contours of the combe slope between elevations of circa 345 and 280 metres above Ordnance Datum. The transcription of the earthworks is based upon the manual transcription carried out by the RCHME with minor amendmends identified during the Exmoor NMP Survey. [4-6]
- <1> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS8029b,SS8129a,SS8229a,SS8329a+b,SS8428a,SS8429a,SS8528A.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/12/019, 025 (May 1977).
- <3> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 9 January 1993.
- <4> SEM7980 Aerial photograph transcription: Crutchley, S.. 1994. Anstey Common, West Exmoor: Air photographic transcription and analysis.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 543/2821 (F63) 0257-8 (27 April 1964).
- <6> SMO7582 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 82 NW. MD002199.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 845 290 (2325m by 1131m)|
|Civil Parish||WEST ANSTEY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=604907 (Original Monarch entry: 604907)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS82NW/21
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS82NW/22
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 18361
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 18363
- Devon SMR: SS82NE/19
- Devon SMR: SS82NW/22/1
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20837
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20839
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO259
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 82 NW15
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 604907
Record last edited
Mar 26 2019 12:31PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.