MDE8251 - 19th Century iron working shaft near Moor Lane (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
An un-named mine. The shaft is 350 yards westnorthwest of Luckworthy Farm. Mineral and date extracted unknown.  SS 8093 2937. The site of a shaft: its function and date are unknown. Depicted on the 1891 six inch Ordnance Survey map , it is now ploughed over and is only evident as a hollow, about 0.6m deep and 11m in diameter. It is located in reseeded pasture.  Two hundred yards south of the cattlegrid at Moor Lane. Moor Lane Mine Shaft "saw" filled (sic). Hump and ditch in the field.  Iron working 1870s. Part of Molland Mine.  The shaft is shown as "Old Shaft" on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, in a small area of earth works. 
- <1> SEM7984 Article in serial: Claughton, P.F.. 1973. The Metalliferous Mines of North Devon and Exmoor. Plymouth Mineral and Mining Club Journal. 4, Part 1. 8.
- <2> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1891/ Devon 16SW.
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 17 December 1992.
- <4> SDE69908 Report: Bannister, N.R. and Bannister, D.E.. 1992. Historic landscape survey of the Molland Estate, Nr South Molton, Devon. A92.
- <5> SDE3410 Report: Claughton, P. F.. 1993. A List of Mines in North Devon and West Somerset. 129.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8092 2936 (45m by 63m)|
|Civil Parish||MOLLAND, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=604905 (Pastscape entry: 604905)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 19864
- Devon SMR: SS82NW/29
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20896
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 82 NW13
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 604905
Record last edited
Jan 29 2019 1:53PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.