MDE8248 - Poult House on Molland Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 8103 2991. The remains of a building shown on the 1891 6 inch Ordnance Survey map  and annotated "Poult House". It was still upstanding, though unroofed, in 1946 when aerial photographs  reveal it had an entrance central to the east side. The 1970 aerial photographs  show it had been completely demolished. The site is now visible as an amorphous turf covered flat topped platform 0.5 metres high and 8.5 metres north to south by 7.0 metres. The footings of a wall at ground level, 0.6 metres long, and two wooden stumps on the west side of the platform are the only identifiable remains of the building. There is a slight scarp, some 0.3 metres high, and 8 metres long, curving around the northeastern side about 7 metres from the platform. The area to the southeast is scattered with small stones, probably a result of the demolition of the building. The building was set in the northwest curving angle of a post-medieval field system delineated by heather and turf banks (see MDE8252) and may have been contemporaneous. [4,5] SS 8105 2995. A levelled area partially covered by grass with scatter of stones and tiles. The building was of stone and lime mortar, a slate roof and clay ridge tiles. It is visible on historic mapping and aerial photographs. It was constructed as a shelter and place to eeat for the owner and guests shooting game on the Moor, with lunches brought from Moneyhole. Beaters would eat their lunch of bread and cheese outside, standing up. 
- <1> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1891, 16SW.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G 3873/3285-6 (15 April 1946).
- <3> SMO4067 Aerial photograph: Aerial photograph reference number . RAF 70/382 489-90 (24 September 1970).
- <4> SMO4861 Survey: Poult House/ink survey . 1:1000. General: Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <5> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 17 December 1992.
- <6> SDE69908 Report: Bannister, N.R. and Bannister, D.E.. 1992. Historic landscape survey of the Molland Estate, Nr South Molton, Devon. 26, 27, A90.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8103 2990 (8m by 10m)|
|Civil Parish||MOLLAND, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=604902 (Pastscape entry: 604902)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 47118
- Devon SMR: SS82NW/90
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21466
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 82 NW10
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 604902
Record last edited
Mar 23 2021 5:00PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.