MDE7735 - Lorna Doone Farm, Malmsmead (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Lorna Doone Farm, Malmesmead. Two stone houses, 16th and 17th Century.  Formerly two cottages, now a house. Early to mid 17th century in date, partly rebuilt or extended in the 18th century, and further remodelled probably in the late 19th century . The building was partly reroofed in the late 20th century. The building is constructed of rendered stone with slate roofs that were formerly thatched. This is one of two former farmhouses sited close together by Badgworthy Water. There are 3 large ground floor small-paned 20th century shop windows to the left with a glazed door between the first and second from the left. The entrance probably dates from the time when the house was two cottages.  The building was visited in September 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  The building is visible on 2020 MasterMap data as part of a group of buildings labelled Lorna Doone Farm.  A file of information on the farmstead is held in the Historic England Archive.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  A receipt is dated 20 August 1962 for payment for stay at Lorna Doone Farm. Individual items for purchase are preprinted, including room and breakfast, board, room service, apartments, servants' board, garages, and various other services and refreshments available. The receipt also states that there are "5 miles of Salmon and Trout Fishing" and "Ponies and Hunters for hire". 
- <1> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. Williams, H. D. and Gibson, R. G. Records at Fortress House 1979: Devon(1980).
- <2> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Brendon (24 November 1988).
- <3> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <4>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #41245 ]
- <5> SEM340911 Archive: RCHME. 1990-1999. Lorna Doone Farm, Brendon.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 512126, Extant 6 December 2021.
- <7> SEM340926 Unpublished document: Brown. 1962. Lorna Doone Farm.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7915 4775 (22m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=512126 (Original Monarch entry: 512126)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1549/4/10/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1549/4/10/2
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12232
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 37979
- Devon SMR: SS74NE/523
- Devon SMR: SS74NE/523/1
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20285
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20306
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NE52
- NBR Index Number: 32139
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 512126
Record last edited
Jan 11 2022 10:50AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.