MDE21874 - 19th Century trackways northeast of Dewcombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Terraced track shown on the 1888 and 1904 maps running around the north side of Duccombe Wells identified during the survey by the National Trust in 2004. The track is up to 3 metres wide and linked to the Brendon Road to the southeast & the A39 to the northwest. A section continues down the west side of the fields at Duccombe & then back northwest. Further sections which no longer survive are shown on the historic maps. The remains of a former field boundary or track was identified to the west centred at SS 7586 4923. The broad 3 metre wide low bank and ditch aligned east to west on the north side of Ammony Hill was not shown on the historic maps.  The trackways are shown on the 25 inch 1880s 1st and 1906 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [2,3] The tracks are not shown on the Countisbury Tithe Map, although they may have been in use at this time. 
- <1> SDE322990 Report: Berry, N.. 2004. Archaeological and Historic Landscape Survey of Kipscombe Farm, Countisbury. National Trust Archaeological Survey Report. Map 2, Site numbers 038 and 039, 101010 and 101011.
- <2>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #46871 ]
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1906.
- <4> SEM8072 Map: <1841. Countisbury Tithe Map and Apportionment.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7602 4910 (373m by 535m)|
|Civil Parish||COUNTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 71674
Record last edited
Jan 12 2021 4:31PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.