MDE21870 - Undated bank and ditch southwest of Kipscombe Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The flattened remains of a broad bank and slight ditch to the southwest of Kipscombe Farm were identified during the survey by the National Trust in 2004. The bank aligned northnortheast to southsouthwest running across pasture was 4 to 5 metres wide with a 0.3 metre deep ditch. The feature is on the same alignment as a large section of bank and ditch surviving on the patch of open moorland to the south where it is c.3 to 4 metres wide with a ditch up to 0.6 metres deep on the east side. The bank is not shown on any of the historic maps which suggests it is 18th Century or earlier in date and had gone out of use by the 19th Century.  The feature is clearly visible on aerial photographs dating to 2013 between SS 7592 4959 (though may travel further northeast) and SS 7577 4928, crossing the A39 at SS 7581 4937, and can also be discerned in later editions. It appears to link Kipscombe Combe a small spring to the south. [2-4] The feature is not shown on historic mapping available to the HER. [5-7]
- <1> SDE322990 Report: Berry, N.. 2004. Archaeological and Historic Landscape Survey of Kipscombe Farm, Countisbury. National Trust Archaeological Survey Report. NT SMR No 101004, Site distribution map 1, site 032.
- <2>XY SEM8039 Aerial photograph: Getmapping. 2013. Vertical Aerial Photography of Exmoor National Park. [Mapped feature: #45155 ]
- <3> SEM8415 Aerial photograph: Getmapping. 2015. Vertical Aerial Photography of Exmoor National Park.
- <4> SEM8520 Aerial photograph: Getmapping. 2017. Vertical Aerial Photography of Exmoor National Park.
- <5> SEM8072 Map: <1841. Countisbury Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <6> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <7> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7585 4944 (162m by 313m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||COUNTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA149647 (National Trust HER entry: MNA149647)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 71670
- National Trust HER Record: MNA149647
- Report Site Reference (SEM6856): 032
Record last edited
Jan 12 2021 4:46PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.