MDE21855 - Post-medieval track and hollow way southwest of Kipscombe Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
A trackway and hollow way forming the boundary of the enclosed land to the southwest of Kipscombe Farm was observed during the survey by the National Trust in 2004. The track was bounded by two field banks; the inner northern one is the most recent and is of 20th Century origin and the southern outer bank is much more substantial and older, although partially blocked. Two partially blocked stone lined gateways were found along the track. The hollow way is shown on the Tithe Map and later maps as a short length of track running parallel to the corn ditch west of the farm entrance . It is unenclosed on the southern side. Following recent clearance of gorse the hollow way is much more visible and forms part of the South West Coast Path.  The Tithe Map for Countisbury shows a trackway running from SS 7582 4967 (from the corner of a field), along the southern side of two field boundaries and joining other routeways to Kipscombe Farmstead at SS 7595 4959.  The trackway is also shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps and extends further, between SS 7568 4971 and SS 7582 4966. [3,4]
- <1> SEM6856 Report: Berry, N.. 2004. Archaeological and Historic Landscape Survey of Kipscombe Farm, Countisbury, Devon. NT SMR No 100980, Site distribution map 1, site 008.
- <2> SEM8072 Map: <1841. Countisbury Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7581 4965 (276m by 131m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||COUNTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA149623 (National Trust HER entry: MNA149623)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 71651
- National Trust HER Record: MNA149623
- Report Site Reference (SEM6856): 008
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:05PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.