MDE21844 - 19th Century building southeast of Muxworthy (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Site of small rectangular building shown on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map on a former field boundary with a small square enclosure to the southwest.  The site of the building is visible on the Tithe Map for High Bray parish as a kink in the field boundary that follows the northwestern half of the building. It is not, however, extant at this time, suggesting that the building may have been built on the site of an earlier structure. The small enclosure is also not shown at this time. [2,3] The 25 inch 2nd Edition map shows the site in a similar layout to that shown on the tithe map, suggesting that the building and enclosure have once again been removed or are ruinous.  The field boundary was not depicted on the 2020 MasterMap data. 
- <1>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1880s. [Mapped feature: #46692 ]
- <2> SEM8103 Map: Northcote, G.. 1838. High Bray Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments.
- <4>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #46692 ]
- <5> SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7088 3756 (29m by 31m)|
|Civil Parish||HIGH BRAY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
|Civil Parish||BRAYFORD, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 70074
- Devon SMR: SS73NW/603
Record last edited
Sep 9 2020 10:23AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.