MDE21834 - Rowley Cross Cottage (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The Tithe Map for Parracombe shows a house within a sectioned off area of a square enclosure in the corner of the field abutting Rowley Cross to the south. The house is labelled 500 and the enclosure 499.  The building is depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map and labelled Rowley Cross Cottage. It has been subdivided.  This arrangement is repeated on the 2nd Edition map.  The building appears to be ruinous by the time the 1946-8 aerial photographs were taken by the Royal Air Force, although this isn’t clear.  The buildings are no longer extant. 
- <1> SDE89747 Map: 1839. Parracombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <5> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6616 4396 (43m by 32m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 67491
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/225
Record last edited
May 21 2019 2:03PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.