MDE21833 - Higher Holwell Farmstead (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The site is shown as a clear area in the corner of a field on the Tithe map for Parracombe.  Site of 'Higher Holwell' shown on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map as an L shaped group of adjoining buildings with a further building to the east around an irregular shaped yard. The farmhouse may be the structure sited at SS 6692 4397 as a porch appears to have been recorded on the southern facing elevation. A 'spring' and adacent pond is shown to the north and a 'pump' to the south.  The farmstead is shown in a similar layout on the 25 inch 2nd Edition map.  The farmstead still appears to be partially extant, although one of the larger buildings (perhaps the farmhouse?) appears to have been removed. 
- <1> SDE89747 Map: 1839. Parracombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #46097 ]
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6693 4397 (83m by 43m)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 67490
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/224
Record last edited
May 21 2019 2:23PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.