MDE21830 - Rooksfoot Cottages (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The site of 'Rooksfoot Cottages' is shown on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map to the north of Rooksfoot Bridge and to the northeast of the present Rooksfoot Cottage.  The building is depicted on the 2nd Edition map but is not labelled. It is apparently shown as unroofed and may have been out of use by this time.  The Tithe Map for Challacombe does not depict a building here. It is the corner of a bend in the road and appears to have been the access point for a field.  The 2018 MasterMap data no longer depicts the building as extant, although the pattern of its northern elevations are apparently preserved in the land boundaries here. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7724 Map: 1839. Challacombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <4> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6895 4054 (16m by 12m)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 67486
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/220
Record last edited
May 21 2019 3:20PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.