MDE21813 - Post-medieval quarry on Summer House Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The site of an 'old quarry' is shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Suvey map on the west side of a field boundary that has since disappeared. During a survey in 2003, a shallow depression 7 metres by 6 metres was identified on a northwest facing slope. [1,2] The quarry is drawn but not labelled on the 2nd Edition Ordnance Suvey map. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <2> SEM6857 Report: Berry, N.. 2003. Archaeological and Historic Landscape Survey of West Lyn Farm, Lynton, Devon. National Trust reference: 100965.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7242 4897 (20m by 28m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 66880
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/253
- National Trust HER Record: MNA148496
Record last edited
Apr 11 2016 12:43PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.