MDE21811 - Small building platform above Lyn Wood (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Remains of a small building platform with a stone retaining wall terraced into the west facing slope above 'Lyn Wood'. The wall, c.2 metres high by 10 metres long, is built of stone slabs laid in courses vertically. The building is shown on the 1840 Tithe Map surrounded by an irregular shaped enclosure, of which a small section of bank and wall remain. [1,2] The building is not shown on either the 1st or 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps and was therefore presumably demolished by this point. [3,4]
- <1> SEM6857 Report: Berry, N.. 2003. Archaeological and Historic Landscape Survey of West Lyn Farm, Lynton, Devon. NT ref's 100961 and 100962.
- <2> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7228 4873 (10m by 13m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 66878
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/25/8
- National Trust HER Record: MNA148491
- National Trust HER Record: MNA148492
Record last edited
Apr 11 2016 12:41PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.