MDE21804 - Medieval field system at West Lyn Farm (Monument)
Please read the Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The remains of a very extensive strip field system of medieval date are clearly visible on aerial photographs of West Lyn as levelled earthworks centred approximately on SS 7227 4828. Visible only in low light and on infrared aerial photography, the sinuous and curvilinear earthworks extend in an arc of almost 30 hectares from the southwest of Manor Farm to the northeast of West Lyn Farm. The strip fields may have formed the cultivated infields of one or more small hamlets or townships around West Lyn during the medieval and earlier post-medieval period. This suggestion may be supported by the place name `North Town' on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map, to the north of West Lyn Farm.  It is clear that the modern field system has fossilised elements of the curved medieval field pattern. However, we can be confident that the field system was enclosed into the form visible on aerial photographs of the 1940s by the 19th century, when the gutters of catchwater water meadows were cut through many of the relict boundary banks. Nonetheless, the process of field boundary removal continued in the years following the Second World War. [2-6] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM6857 Report: Berry, N.. 2003. Archaeological and Historic Landscape Survey of West Lyn Farm, Lynton, Devon. National Trust, The.
- <2> SDE60980 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1947. RAF/CPE/UK 1980. Royal Air Force Aerial Photograph. 3086. 4050-1 (11 April 1947).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/910 (F20) 4021-2 (17 October 1952).
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. ENPA CUCAP (Zki-FD 51-52) (2 November 1995).
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95026 021-22 (12 March 1995).
- <6> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <7>XY SMO7556 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 NW. MD002173. [Mapped features: #47771 ; #47772 ; #47773 ; #47774 ; #47775 ; #47776 ; #47777 ]
- <8> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1465970, Extant 10 January 2022.
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1465970 (Original Monarch entry: 1465970)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 66871
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 66877
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/25/1
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/25/7
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21810
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO1985
- Local List Status (Candidate)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW190
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1465970
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7222 4835 (1037m by 695m) (7 map features)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Related Articles (1)
Record last edited
Jan 11 2022 9:26AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.