MDE21800 - Post-medieval shippon north of Twitchen Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
The site of a building with a narrow enclosure to the south shown on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [1,2] The structure is still present as an outline on modern maps.  A ruined building and associated semicircular enclosure are visible on aerial photographs in fields north of Twitchen Farm, Challacombe. Centred at approximately SS 7003 4160, the building measures approximately 6 metres long by 4 metres wide. A possible entranceway is visible in the south wall. The enclosure faces this entranceway, measuring 20 metres long and 15 metres wide at is widest point. It appears that the entraceway forms a yard or holding area outside the barn. The building is depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map; however, the enclosure is not shown. The features most likely represent the remains of a field barn and holding pen or enclosure, probably dating to the post-medieval period. It is not clear when the building was abandoned, although it was clearly sometime prior to 1995. [1,4,5,6] The Tithe Map for Challacombe shows a small rectangular building with a small enclosure to its south in this location. The features are labelled 906, which the accompanying Apportionment describes as "Tenement in Swincombe: Shippen and Court (Waste)", owned by Earl Hugh Fortescue and occupied by Nathaniel Vellacott.  The remains of the shippon and enclosure are visible on 2021 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1880.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1905.
- <3> SEM7725 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2004. 1:10000, 2004. 1:10,000.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/ 1501 4087-88 (13 May 1946).
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95026 005-006 (12 March 1995).
- <6> SMO7565 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182.
- <7> SEM7724 Map: 1839. Challacombe Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 906.
- <8> SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7003 4159 (18m by 42m)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 66727
- Devon SMR: SS74SW/131
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO2178
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW209
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1470820
Record last edited
Feb 10 2021 2:39PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.