MDE21799 - Modern cafe remains above Wild Pear Beach (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Modern building platform of a former cafe above Wild Pear Beach. The building is shown on post war maps in a small triangular enclosure on the coastal path. The platform is 20 metres by approximately 6 metres with a small area of concrete surviving on a slight rise at the west end above the platform.  The building is not shown on the early 20th Century 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map.  A building can be seen sited here on the 1946-8 aerial photographs taken by the Royal Air Force. 
- <1> SEM6849 Report: Berry, N.. 2002. Archaeological and Historic Landscape Survey of West Challacombe Farm, Combe Martin, Devon. 100912.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 5833 4761 (23m by 19m)|
|Civil Parish||COMBE MARTIN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA148444 (National Trust HER entry: MNA148444)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 65797
- Devon SMR: SS54NE/179
- National Trust HER Record: MNA148444
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (0-20)
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (20-50)
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (50-100)
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:05PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.