MDE21786 - Post-medieval field boundary northeast of Caffyns Heanton Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A boundary feature 1.2 metres wide by 0.65 metres deep and orientated north to south was revealed during groundworks for laying a water pipe in 2000 in the field on the northern side of Croscombe Lane. The v shaped ditch with a circular posthole in the base probably represented a temporary field boundary. Flattened shale packing stones were found around the rim of the posthole. The feature is not shown on the early 19th Century surveyors' drawing so probably relates to later enclosure activities.  The boundary does not appear to be shown on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map.  It is also not shown on the Tithe Map for Lynton. Croscombe Lane was also not shown. The feature does not appear to be present on the 1946-8 aerial photographs. 
- <1>XY SEM7574 Report: Whitton, C.J.M.. 2000. Archaeological Recording on the South West Water Lynton Water Supply Pipeline. 8. [Mapped feature: #43849 ]
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <4> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
|Grid reference||SS 6962 4769 (point)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 65562
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/165
Record last edited
Oct 14 2020 9:56AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.