MDE21773 - 20th Century cottage northeast of Caffyns Heanton Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A ruined brick built cottage, thought to be of a late 19th or early 20th Century date, was noted in this location.  There is no building located in this location on the Lynton and Lynmouth Tithe Map or on the 1st or 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. However, a building within a small walled enclosure can be seen on aerial photographs taken by the Royal Air Force in 1946-8. [2-5] The outline of the building is still recorded on modern MasterMap data. 
- <1> SDE323788 Report: Nicholas Pearson Associates. 2000. Lynton Water Supply: Environmental report. 67.
- <2> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <6> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6968 4764 (23m by 27m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 64588
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/155
Record last edited
Aug 29 2017 1:32PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.