MDE21742 - 19th Century recreation land south of Stony Lane (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Allotment described on 1862 Parracombe Down Enclosure Award and map as 'public recreation land' awarded to churchwardens and overseers of poor for communal use. Extent of 2 acres. [1,2] Still visible as a field of furze and rough pasture on the 1963 Ordnance Survey map, with footpath running through it.  The area was part of the larger Down on the Tithe Map for Parracombe and was not subdivided from it.  The parcel is shown as a discrete enclosed space on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map.  The field is still visible on 2020 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SEM7970 Unpublished document: 1862. Parracombe Down Enclosure Award.
- <2> SEM8553 Unpublished document: Wilmshurst, F.A.. 2000. Enclosure Awards file and accompanying map overlays. Parracombe Down.
- <3> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <4> SDE89747 Map: 1839. Parracombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #44427 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6839 4504 (139m by 118m)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 62125
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/140
Record last edited
Oct 14 2020 2:41PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.