MDE21741 - Possible 19th Century road east of Killington Cross (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Track recorded as 'private carriage and occupation road, no.17' on 1862 Parracombe Down Enclosure Award and map in DRO. Runs from SS 6742 4546 to SS 6752 4580. Original width marked out as 15 feet. [1,2] Not visible on 1963 Ordnance Survey map.  The trackway is not shown on the Tithe Map for Parracombe, nor on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. [4,5] It is possible that the road was never built. 
- <1> SEM7970 Unpublished document: 1862. Parracombe Down Enclosure Award.
- <2>XY SEM8553 Unpublished document: Wilmshurst, F.A.. 2000. Enclosure Awards file and accompanying map overlays. Parracombe Down. [Mapped feature: #46741 ]
- <3> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <4> SDE89747 Map: 1839. Parracombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 14 October 2020.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6747 4563 (99m by 334m)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 62124
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/139
Record last edited
Oct 14 2020 2:51PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.