MDE21734 - Post-medieval trackway between Newground Lane and Barton Lane (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Derelict track. Described as a 'discontinued public turf track or occupation way' in 1862 Parracombe Down Enclosure Award and map. Joins with Newground Lane at the north and visible on 1963 Ordnance Survey map at SS 6757 4544, terminating at Barton Lane/Stoney Lane junction at SS 6796 4494. [1-3] The routeway can be seen on the Parracombe Tithe Map and 1st Edition Ordnance Survey maps and has been mapped appropriately. [4,5]
- <1> SEM7970 Unpublished document: 1862. Parracombe Down Enclosure Award.
- <2> SEM8553 Unpublished document: Wilmshurst, F.A.. 2000. Enclosure Awards file and accompanying map overlays. Parracombe Down.
- <3> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963. SS64NE, SS64SE.
- <4> SDE89747 Map: 1839. Parracombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #44419 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6776 4518 (420m by 574m)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 62117
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/134
Record last edited
Oct 14 2020 3:30PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.