MDE21728 - Possible private carriageway south of Down Lane (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A track is described as 'private carriage and occupation road, no.48' in 1848 Kentisbury Down Enclosure Award and Map. Indicated as running from SS 6282 4332 to SS 6288 4340. Original width marked out as 16.5 feet. Not visible on 1:10000 (1978) Ordnance Survey map. [1-3] This feature may exist outside of the National Park boundary. A track runs from Preston (SS 6243 4298) to the main road at Preston Gate (SS 6263 4328). This is named Parsonage Lane on modern MasterMap and is shown on the Tithe Map for Kentisbury. Beyond Preston Gate, the road runs to SS 6267 4335 and then opens out onto Kentisbury Down. No routeway is depicted beyond this point and there are no other routeways shown in this area. The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map and modern MasterMap data now shows this section of the road named as Down Lane; it continues to the east before heading northeasterly towards SS 6385 4426. [4-6]
- <1> SEM8548 Unpublished document: Unknown. 1848. Kentisbury Down Enclosure Award. Unknown.
- <2> SEM8553 Unpublished document: Wilmshurst, F.A.. 2000. Enclosure Awards file and accompanying map overlays.
- <3> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1:10,000:1978.
- <4> SEM7937 Map: 1840. Kentisbury Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||SS 6282 4332 (point)|
|Civil Parish||KENTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 62111
- Devon SMR: SS64SW/192
Record last edited
Apr 30 2019 10:56AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.