MDE21724 - Post-medieval routeway on East Anstey Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Derelict track. Described as a 'Public Highway' in the 1856 Enclosure Award in Devon Record Office; to be discontinued and stopped up from a point near Rhyll Gate (point C on enclosure map; SS 8680 2820 on the 1973 1:10000 Ordnance Survey map); extending northwards towards Hawkridge and terminating at south of new 'Ventford Hill' road or MDE21722 (point A on enclosure map; SS 8650 2922 on the 1973 1:10000 Ordnance Survey map). These coordinate points were indicated as white painted stakes on the ground, as described in the 1856 Enclosure Award. The route is visible on the 1973 1:10000 Ordnance Survey map. [1-3] The route has been traced on Exmoor's HER GIS using the description above and the route of the presumed track marked on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. [4,5] The route is not shown on the East Anstey Tithe Map. 
- <1> SDE92046 Unpublished document: 1856. East Anstey Common Enclosure Award.
- <2> SEM8553 Unpublished document: Wilmshurst, F.A.. 2000. Enclosure Awards file and accompanying map overlays.
- <3> SEM7730 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1973. 1:10000, 1973. 1:10,000.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 9 May 2013.
- <6> SEM8107 Map: Crispin, H.. 1845. East Anstey Tithe Map and Apportionment. 3 chains : 1 inch.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 866 287 (305m by 1055m)|
|Civil Parish||EAST ANSTEY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 62096
- Devon SMR: SS82NE/64
Record last edited
Mar 26 2019 3:16PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.