MDE21711 - Undated field system on Middle Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Middle Hill. On south slope, towards tributary of Farley Water, which separates this from Pig Hill. Long walls , fairly high , enclosing a large rectangle on three sides (west, north and east), with the stream probably the southern boundary.  The features appear to have been transcribed from aerial photographs by McDonnell and included in the description "Low banks forming irregular shaped fields on the sides of Middle Hill, Little Hill and Farley Hill". Two enclosed areas are transcribed, centred at SS 7524 4508 and SS 7544 4507. A further linear boundary aligned north to south is situated to the west at SS 7509 4518. [2-4] The features are clearly visible on aerial photographs taken in 2013. 
- <1> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. Site visit and worksheet, H Eardley-Wilmot, 8 August 1981.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM 13/054 (May 1978).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. CPE/UK/1980 4075 (April 1947).
- <4> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7545B.
- <5>XY SEM8039 Aerial photograph: Getmapping. 2013. Vertical Aerial Photography of Exmoor National Park. [Mapped features: #46873 Two possible fields, ; #46874 Field boundary to west of fields, ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7536 4512 (594m by 340m)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 61733
- Devon SMR: SS74NE/643
Record last edited
Jan 12 2021 5:26PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.