MDE21622 - Rhydda Bank / Trentishoe Manor (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A group of buildings labelled as "Rhydda Bank" on the 6 inch 2nd Edition 1905 Ordnance Survey map.  The buildings are labelled "Trentishoe Manor" on the 6 inch 1963 map.  The Tithe Map for Trentishoe depicts a large building at SS 6345 4686, facing to the southeast and with a linear outbuilding to the northwest. Two further linear buildings are sited slightly to the west of the outbuilding. The site is labelled 175, which the accompanying Apportionment states is a "House Garden and Buildings" (no estate name is given); it is owned by Mrs Amelia Griffiths and occupied by the Reverend Charles Griffiths.  The site is labelled "Rhydda Bank" on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. By this time, some small extensions have been made to the main building, including a connection being formed with the outbuilding to the rear, and at least one of the remaining associated buildings to the west had been demolished and replaced with another in a slightly different position.  By the time the 25 inch 2nd Edition map was surveyed, the western of the two linear associated buildings had been demolished and the remaining one extended to the west to form one long building. Its use was not clear.  The main larger building is shown on the 2018 MasterMap data and labelled "Trentishoe Manor". The outbuilding to the rear has been demolished and another building constructed on a different alignment. The associated linear building to the northwest is still apparently extant and is labelled "Rhydda Bank Cottage". 
- <1> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1905, 6NW.
- <2> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <3> SDE82553 Map: 1842. Trentishoe Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 175.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6343 4686 (57m by 45m)|
|Civil Parish||TRENTISHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 56995
- Devon SMR: SS64NW/88
Record last edited
Apr 24 2019 3:54PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.