MDE21574 - Post-medieval mill at Whitefield Barton (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Whitefield Barton mill. All that remains is the arched channel that took the water away. The wheelpit, for an 18 foot diameter wheel, 3 feet 6 inches wide, has been filled in and built over. The wheel was overshot, with a launder for the last 25 yards. The wheel was pond fed, but the present owners have no knowledge of a pond.  It is not clear where the wheel pit was situated from the information in ; however, the 25 inch 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps depict a rectangular feature at SS 6779 4177 along the line of a water course that may have been a pond. [2-4]
- <1>XY SDE13174 Monograph: University of the Third Age. 1995. Watermills in North Devon 1994. University of the Third Age. A5 Paperback. 112. [Mapped feature: #33863 ]
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 22 May 2019.
|Grid reference||SS 6780 4179 (point)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 54330
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/106/3
Record last edited
May 22 2019 10:19AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.