MDE21557 - Post-medieval quarry remains northwest of Lower Willingford Bridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A quarry was noted on a site visit near to one located at SS 8169 3246. It was noted not to be depicted on the 6 inch 1905 or 1962 Ordnance Survey maps. [1-3] The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map shows four earthworks arranged along the western bank of theDane's Brook, at SS 8177 3234, SS 8179 3231, SS 8180 3230 and SS 8180 3228. These are not labelled.  Two areas of earthworks are shown on 2018 MasterMap data at SS 8179 3229 and SS 8180 3228. These are labelled "Workings (dis)". These appear to be at the same sites as the two southern areas shown on the 1st Editio map  and may have been enlarged. 
- <1> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1905. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1905.
- <2> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <3> SDE69908 Report: Bannister, N.R. and Bannister, D.E.. 1992. Historic landscape survey of the Molland Estate, Nr South Molton, Devon. A8, 29 May 1992.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8179 3231 (42m by 73m)|
|Civil Parish||MOLLAND, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 54022
- Devon SMR: SS83SW/25/1
Record last edited
Feb 18 2019 2:25PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.