MDE21526 - Possible prehistoric enclosure west of Lynton Station (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The remains of a possible prehistoric enclosure are situated in a pasture field at about 255m above Ordnance Datum on a fairly steep southeast facing hill slope. Best seen in ideal lighting conditions in early evening from West Lyn Farm (some 800 metres across the Glen Lyn Gorge to the southeast). This enclosure has been so reduced by ploughing and it merges so effectively into the surrounding slope that precise measurements are not obtainable. Its main feature is a roughly ovoid platform, about 20 metres northeast to southwest by 8 metres internally, cut back into the slope around the north uphill side to a depth of about 1.3 metres and with a frontal scarp up to 6 metres wide and 1.3 metres high. Set into the slope on its north side is a small subcircular, contiguous platform, about 9 metres northeast to southwest by 6 metres internally, possibly the stance for a hut accessed from the northeastern side above the large platform. Probing revealed some stone beneath the turf. This denuded feature could be no more than a disused quarry. The location on the 1887 Ordnance Survey map is shown as a patch of gorse. It does not however have the ragged appearance of a quarry and it is magnificently situated with panoramic views from the northeast around to the south. Its form suggests that it may be a small homestead or a prehistoric settlement. Surveyed at 1:500. [1,2] Enclosure on farmland above Lynbridge to the south of Lynton. 
- <1> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1887, Devon Sheet 3(13).
- <3> SDE90743 Index: NMR. Unknown. SS74NW 68. NMR Index.
- <4> SDE322990 Report: Berry, N.. 2004. Archaeological and Historic Landscape Survey of Kipscombe Farm, Countisbury. National Trust Archaeological Survey Report. 3.
|Grid reference||SS 7173 4871 (point) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=926285 (Original Monarch entry: 926285)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 53797
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/223
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE11730
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW68
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 926285
Record last edited
May 31 2016 10:07AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.