MDE21513 - Hut circle southeast of Castle Rock, Valley of Rocks (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
One of three circular features shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, annotated 'Hut Circles'. This feature is drawn with a 10 metre diameter.  All that is visible here are a few amorphous stones some set on edge and a scarp on the south side of the area alongside the footpath. The origin and function of this feature is uncertain.  The feature could not be located on the ground during survey work. The area is now covered by gorse and heather, which, combined with ground disturbance, makes it impossible to recognise any discernible features. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7441 Index: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Record Card. SS74NW8.
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 9 November 1993.
- <4> SEM6888 Report: Jamieson, E.. 1999. The Valley of Rocks, Lynton & Lynmouth, North Devon. P.4-5.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7052 4966 (10m by 10m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 53769
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/28/4
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:05PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.